Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ten Things I Like About Where I Live

I don't like where I live. I've disliked it since the day we moved here. And then when you read (I'll spare you the links, but I promise they're there) that it's in the top ten cities in the U.S. with bed bugs (Three of the 10 are in Ohio, btw) and #21 out of 354 cities for crime (Three of the 25 *most dangerous cities* are in Ohio, btw), you feel justified in disliking it. And we've lived here 6 years. Ugh.

Granted, we don't live in the city limits, but there are other things -- such as, it's just not beautiful here, and if you've driven through it, you know it smells like a porta-potty. After all, when you've lived near Washington, DC, and in Upstate New York near the Finger Lakes (no, I didn't appreciate it while I was there), and the southern coast of England (yes, I appreciated it while I was there), you become a little used to natural beauty and municipal cleanliness.

But I'm trying to develop a more grateful spirit, so I've tried to come up with 10 good things about it. I mean, I'm happy with my life, my family and all that. I just look out the window as I drive (quickly) through town, and I just hate what I see. Ok, I'm going to stop now or I'll never be able to...

10. It's nice to be able to live so near an airport. My husband travels a lot (a lot!!) and the rest of us like to travel when we can so it's nice to have a handy airport.

9. The DAI - very, very good art museum for a city this size.

8. The Neon - we've been able to see a few movies there that are limited releases.

7. Our grocery store  - this is an odd one, but our grocery store is special. Really.

6. MeadowlarkPasha GrillBasically British Tea Shop, and Winans

5. Kettering Children's Choir

4. Great Shakespeare productions in nearby Cincy

3. Raw milk and Grass-fed beef from John and Cathy at Homestead Farm

2. Our church

1. My husband was finally able to realize his dream of working for himself and helping other small businesses grow. I'm proud of you, Walt!

And, honorable mention...


We got the greatest dog EVER at the Montgomery County animal shelter! God meant for us to have this dog. I kid you not.

So, we had to move here, that's all there is to it.

Still, I'd move again if the opportunity presented itself. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I think Lacey should be #1. No wait, she should be 0. She is above all this number nonsense. :-)

    Now my Math-major friends are going to argue me to the grave, saying that 0 IS a number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zero is your dad's favorite number. :-)

    ReplyDelete