Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Why Orthodoxy: Questions

Something I do not want to imply in telling how we are moving toward Orthodoxy is that it's a reaction. This is not a reaction against what happened to us in a previous church.

Nor is it a statement against any of the churches or people we have been privileged to know.

This is not a moving away from something so much as it is a moving toward.

As I went through my past week, I was trying to remember all of the things that brought us to this point. I thought I would list them as well as I can remember them, and then try to talk about them one by one.

Key questions and issues that kept coming up in our thoughts and in our conversations over the last ten years and more:

1. Where is the early 'pure' church that we were trying to find in our home church experience?
2. Tradition - do we make up our own? Do we pick one? Are we handed a tradition to past down?
3. What is Truth? (Because I've got to teach it to my children!)
4. Concerns about the disparaging and denial of the importance of the Physical that I was seeing in Protestant churches
5. And related...a misunderstanding of Beauty and its importance
6. Worship - Does God even care how we do it? What kind of worship pleases God?
7. A new growing appreciation of a healthy structure for authority
8. The role of women in the church
9. Predestination and Arminianism - I was sure that there had to be a 3rd view
10. An emphasizing of the Intellect and not balancing it with mystery and the unknowable
11. Logical reasoning and not taking into account its limitations
12. Is there more meaning to communion and baptism that I thought?
13. Holiness - What is it? How can we be holy?

There are many more things, of course, but this is what came to mind. I hope to expand on these items in the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment