Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Pattern of Things in the Heavens

There is a worship that continually occurs in the heavens, a worship of the undivided Trinity. I love liturgy because when I enter the sanctuary I am entering the worship that is already going on and has always gone on and will always go on, together with all the angels and other believers, of our King, Christ Jesus. (Heb. 9:23; Rev. 4; Heb. 12)

From the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, chanted every Sunday:

"Illumine our hearts, O Master Who lovest mankind, with the pure light of Thy divine knowledge. Open the eyes of our mind to the understanding of Thy gospel teachings. Implant also in us the fear of Thy blessed commandments, that trampling down all carnal desires, we may enter upon a spiritual manner of living, both thinking and doing such things as are well-pleasing unto Thee. For Thou art the illumination of our souls and bodies, O Christ our God, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, together with Thy Father, Who is from everlasting, and Thine all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen."

3 comments:

  1. Gayle, you have been in my prayers since we talked when I was in Ohio. I am so happy to read your blog about your journey. I will be following. Do you have any idea when you will be Chrimsated? It would be fabulous for a trip to Ohio to be at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite moments in the liturgy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carla,

    Oh, so wonderful sister of wonderful Karen! :-)

    We had a great talk, didn't we?

    I still feel like I have so much to learn! But it seems the more I learn, the more I say, "Wow. I always thought that!" about some doctrinal point or other, so it all feels so familiar.

    It would be an honor for you to be there!

    ReplyDelete