Wednesday, April 21, 2010

From earlier today...while I sat in the car waiting...

Bryna and I are out at her sewing lesson right now. She takes lessons from a ‘retired’ homeschooler, a woman whose kids are all graduated and now giving her grandchildren. Bryna loves these lessons! I probably could be doing this myself, but I don’t have a good working sewing machine right now and it’s good for Bryna to have outside teachers every now and then. I don’t trust the “important” subjects to others at this time in her life, things like reading, history, literature, etc. But learning how to make a skirt, yes.


Her teacher lives out in the country. An idyllic setting. Her yard is FULL of wildflowers - spring beauties (one of my favorites!), violets, dog-tooth violets, periwinkle (I recently read that this is considered an invasive?! That’s the prettiest little invasive if there ever was one), a little yellow flower that I can’t remember the name of right now and, of course, garlic mustard (an ugly invasive - but she doesn’t have a lot of it - maybe she pulls it...).


There are all kinds of trees - a lovely dogwood in bloom, a redbud (I really want one of those - that lavendery purple, ahhh), and all kinds of others that I don’t know personally. Kiernan and I spent a lot of time when she was young identifying wildflowers. But I don’t know my trees as well - except for the obvious ones that everyone knows - maple, oak. Jared, Bryna and I are going to have to do that this summer: learn our trees.


No comments:

Post a Comment