Thursday, September 2, 2010

Show and Tell

I decided to enroll Bryna in Classical Conversations this year. The group meets for 3 hours on Friday mornings. Being in 6th grade, it will be her last chance to have accountability in memorizing the history timeline and material from five other subjects. She is enjoying it and I'm thankful she gets this chance. Another thing the students do every week is give a presentation in front of their class. I was a bit put off when I found out on the first day that she would give one every single week! But Bryna didn't seem to be put off. She enthusiastically prepared her speech. (It was on Rehoboam and Jeroboam. I'm not sure what inspired that, but anyway...) Because I was in Texas, I didn't get to see her give her presentation, but she tells me it was great fun. :-)

When I first started homeschooling, many of the magazines and books for homeschoolers suggested that the children share what they were learning with their grandparents. The idea was that it gave the homeschooled student an opportunity to have a bit of a classroom experience in which he or she could give a speech, do an experiment as if at a science fair, or explain how to make something. This teaches them to develop poise and keep their heads while standing in front of others! This also gives the child and grandparent something to share together. My children always loved doing this sort of thing.

I've observed something though. Some grandparents, I think, question the motives of the homeschool parent or child. It seems to me they are suspected of "showing off," being prideful, or bragging. I don't understand the bent toward thinking the worst of someone rather than the best.

Well, Kiernan is in Kansas this weekend for a friend's wedding, and Walt is flying in tomorrow afternoon. I haven't seen Walt for two weeks! Yikes! I miss him.

By the way, I love Skype. I've had two or three great conversations with Jillian since she's been at UD. And we can see each other's faces! It's great. Wish we'd done it while Kiernan was in Michigan. I'm missing my girls tonight.

3 comments:

  1. That is wonderful that Byrna did well on her first speech(BTW tell her Shanon is taking her first speech class this semester)Would loved to been there to hear that topic...sounded interesting. I would be proud for sure.

    It was in my nature to sometimes think the worst, first...but a loving supportive hubby helped me to look for the best...I am striving better at it then I use to.

    Awww, hope you an Walt are having a wonderful reunion and Kiernan had a fun trip.

    We have Skype...the boys would live to *visit* with Jared and Bryna sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne~

    I never thought of you as seeing the worst in others and I'm sure you won't do that as a grandparent. :-) It's just something that I've observed and it makes me sad.

    The four of us (Walt, the two youngers, and I) had a great weekend. We played putt-putt and Walt and I tied to beat the kids! We told them they had to pay for ice cream. :-)

    What is Shanon doing her first speech on? I will tell the kids. Fun! She could practice giving it to us on Skype. ;-) Tell Shanon that I went "back to school" this year. I am taking Greek among other things! I'm out of my league, but I don't care because I'm enjoying myself. :-) One must have grain for the grist mill, as Charlotte Mason said!

    Jared and Bryna would love to Skype with Joel and Simon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I use to be like that in my younger *selfish* years. Having kids makes you see beyond yourself and that, and the love of my dear hubby helped me grow and look for the best now.

    Awww, a round of putt-putt sounds fun! Hope the ice cream was good! ;-)

    Shanon's speech was on her...they had to give a 3-5 minute speech on themselves. She got an 87 on it...the teacher( a drama-type person) said Shanon needed to be more animated! I said "WHAT"! A Spaulding is usually always animated!
    LOL!!

    Good for you heading back to school... Greek, yikes. What else are you doing?

    ReplyDelete