Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Book Study or Two or Three

I've been thinking that I would like to re-read some Charlotte Mason and Norms & Nobility, and finish reading Poetic Knowledge.

When I first started homeschooling in January of 1994, I read two of Charlotte Mason's books, Home Education and A Philosophy of Education. I remember the days of having a 5, almost 6, year old and an almost 2 year old. They spent a lot of time playing outside while I sat in a lawn chair reading. Charlotte Mason had a profound affect on my efforts to homeschool my children.

In 2000, I read the book Norms & Nobility by David Hicks. This book moved me into the new phase of homeschooling that I was facing, that of high school. I have read it two more times since then, and a different color marks each time: black ink, blue ink, and pink highlighter. It's interesting to see that there are certain things that I have underlined every time because they have resonated with my heart. I find them truer each time I read it. My notes to myself have changed considerably over the years as well. In some places, I've disagreed with what I read; in the next read, however, I've agreed. The new color will be purple. :-)

Charlotte Mason and David Hicks changed my life, and the lives of my children. They were worth every penny spent on their books and every minute spent reading them. As my youngest has 7 more years in our homeschool, I think they deserve another read. But this time I will keep notes on this blog.

As part of this study, I plan to finally finish Poetic Knowledge by James Taylor. This is a good book (I've gotten to pg. 61 before); I don't know why I have trouble finishing it. Maybe when I finish it, I will know why I had trouble finishing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment